X-Wing using Boxer

Joystick Mapper discussion.

X-Wing using Boxer

Postby fdesar » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:06 pm

Hi,

I just want to replay an old goody I've played yeeeeeeears ago : Lucas Arts' X-Wing and Tie Fighter space sims.

I'm running a Macbook Pro Retina (2012), El Capitan with a generic USB DragonRise Joystick, perfectly
detected and working on my Mac and use latest OS X DosBox (in fact Boxer app).

The games run perfectly and I get the joystick perfectly recognized in the games.

Now it comes to keys, since this games require the use of many keys to play. My fist try was to use
Joystick Mapper so I can get the throttle buttons (keyboard '+' and '-' mapped to the second axis up
and down.

First trouble : I cannot find the keyboard '+' key mapping in the list... so I used "Keypad +" which seems to
work and "Keyboard -" for respectively increase and decrease throttle, and I added button 11 (top of right
axis) to get full throttle (in fact mapped to Backspace).

All seems working fine, except that the game seems to receive a lot of keyboard noise, beeping each time I
use any axis - left or right - on the joystick. It doesn't seems to have any weird effects on the game, the mappings
work BUT... it keeps beeping and beeping all the time... with is really very uncomfortable !

What's happening ? What should I try to do to understand or solve this problem ?
And, BTW, why is the keyboard '+' not in the list for keyboard mapping ?

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas,

FD
fdesar

Re: X-Wing using Boxer

Postby fdesar » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:02 pm

Ok, I got something :

Moving horizontally the left axis on the pad triggers both the XAxis and the ZAxis...

Is it normal and is there a way to solve that ?

Thanx

FD
fdesar

Postby Rodrigo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:24 am

fdesar wrote:Ok, I got something :

Moving horizontally the left axis on the pad triggers both the XAxis and the ZAxis...

Is it normal and is there a way to solve that ?

Thanx

FD

This must be something related to the gamepad itself, do you have a link to the product's official page of this exact model?
Rodrigo

Postby Rodrigo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:29 am

fdesar wrote:Hi,

I just want to replay an old goody I've played yeeeeeeears ago : Lucas Arts' X-Wing and Tie Fighter space sims.

I'm running a Macbook Pro Retina (2012), El Capitan with a generic USB DragonRise Joystick, perfectly
detected and working on my Mac and use latest OS X DosBox (in fact Boxer app).

The games run perfectly and I get the joystick perfectly recognized in the games.

Now it comes to keys, since this games require the use of many keys to play. My fist try was to use
Joystick Mapper so I can get the throttle buttons (keyboard '+' and '-' mapped to the second axis up
and down.

First trouble : I cannot find the keyboard '+' key mapping in the list... so I used "Keypad +" which seems to
work and "Keyboard -" for respectively increase and decrease throttle, and I added button 11 (top of right
axis) to get full throttle (in fact mapped to Backspace).

All seems working fine, except that the game seems to receive a lot of keyboard noise, beeping each time I
use any axis - left or right - on the joystick. It doesn't seems to have any weird effects on the game, the mappings
work BUT... it keeps beeping and beeping all the time... with is really very uncomfortable !

What's happening ? What should I try to do to understand or solve this problem ?
And, BTW, why is the keyboard '+' not in the list for keyboard mapping ?

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas,

FD

Are you using a North American Keyboard? IF so, you can see that the '=' (equal) key is the same as the '+' key. + is the secondary function of this key.
So, mapping to = should work!

If you are not using this keyboard, I apologise for not caring about regional differences. But it should work as the = key anyway.

About the beep, you are talking about the default mac beep?
Please check if mapping to the = key fixes the problem, it not, pelase tell me.

Cheers
Rodrigo

Postby Dominic Calvert » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:18 am

Rodrigo wrote:Are you using a North American Keyboard? IF so, you can see that the '=' (equal) key is the same as the '+' key. + is the secondary function of this key.
So, mapping to = should work!

If you are not using this keyboard, I apologise for not caring about regional differences. But it should work as the = key anyway.

About the beep, you are talking about the default mac beep?
Please check if mapping to the = key fixes the problem, it not, pelase tell me.

Cheers

Dominic Calvert

Return to Joystick Mapper