How to convert presets from onekind of controller to another

You can post here any preset you have made to share with others.

How to convert presets from onekind of controller to another

Postby Rodrigo » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:54 pm

Hello there!

Since version 1.1.3 of Joystick Mapper, I included a Python script to convert presets inside the App Package and completely forgot to tell you about that! (!) :lol:

currently the script supports Xbox, PS3 and PS4 controllers.

I will now briefly explain how to use the script. keep reading...

• Please open the Terminal.app;
  • type:
    Code: Select all
    cd /Applications/Joystick\ Mapper.app/Contents/Resources/presetexamples
    and press enter;
  • Look at this model:
    ./convert_preset.py TYPEOFPRESET1 path_to_preset1.txt TYPEOFPRESET2 path_to_new_preset.txt

Dont type exactly this, You need to change TYPEOFPRESET1 and TYPEOFPRESET2 to one of these controller types according to your needs:
    • x360
    • ps3
    • ps4
    path_to_preset1.txt and path_to_new_preset.txt are the pathnames of the original preset file and the the name of the new preset file, respectively.
  • So, for example, if you have a Xbox preset in the file "/path/to/origin.txt" and want to convert it to a PS4 preset named "/path/to/mynewpreset.txt" you need to type this:
    ./convert_preset.py x360 /path/to/origin.txt ps4 /path/to/mynewpreset.txt
    and press enter.
  • dont forget to put the preset in the correct folder
  • Please note this does NOT rename any comment, title or tag you may have written inside the preset

DISCLAIMER:
This is a more (altough VERY simple) "tech oriented" tool to help some people.
Even though it is included in the app package, this is NOT a officially supported tool, so please dont send me emails asking how to use this.
Instead, if you have questions about this script, post here and I will try to clarify your questions publicly. Thank you for understanding!

Some technical details:
(if you understand some basic programming and want to include another type of controller, please read the script, since this goes out of the scope of this topic, I will not be explaining it right now. I do not plan to include lots of controller types, but feel free to submit your own ones in the array format here.)
Rodrigo

Re: How to convert presets from onekind of controller to ano

Postby schroef » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:51 pm

You will still need to convert a lot of buttons as well when converting from lets say ps3 to ps4. Ps4 has a couple buttons register different. For example the trigger buttons register as Axis buttons, quite weird.
schroef

Re: How to convert presets from onekind of controller to ano

Postby Ashish1485 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:25 pm

:) Thanks. Helped a lot
Ashish1485

Return to User-made Presets