SRW-S1 steelseries, OSX, need advice/info

Joystick Mapper discussion.

SRW-S1 steelseries, OSX, need advice/info

Postby RootlessAgrarian » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:06 pm

Greetings all. I have been struggling with a Steelseries SRW-S1 which I'd like to use with Euro Truck 2 on my iMac (El Capitan, 10.11).

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/ste ... 83684.aspx

I bought Joystick Mapper and Joystick Show to try to understand better why this game controller doesn't work :-)

I am puzzled by the results of my tests. The SRW-S1 has four levers in back, a steering-wheel or yoke-like form, and is intended (with the right drivers I guess) to be an "air wheel" for driving games. I can hear a tilt switch activating when it's rotated in the air.

However, Joystick Show does not see much coming out of it. The various coloured buttons appear as button click events 0-16; the top 2 levers in back also show up as button clicks; the r-hand bottom lever in back shows as Axis 0, is spring loaded, and seems to output neg values when travelling back past centre point towards the home position, positive values when travelling (being pulled) forward past centre point towards the device. But it has no detente at centre point. The l-hand bottom lever outputs nothing, according to JShow. And rotating or tilting the device outputs nothing.

The device also offers a few rotating multiposition knobs, but they don't show up as output in JShow.

I am wondering whether this device just plain doesn't work -- did I get a dud? -- or whether the designers used the additional buttons and levers to modify the existing set cleverly so as to squeeze more apparent functions out of it. It is said to work OK with selected PC games -- including ETS2! -- but (despite a few isolated claims) no one seems to have got it working with OSX. I'm disappointed (was hoping to use it as a cheap substitute for a real USB driving wheel etc) and am wondering if (a) anyone else has managed to get it working with their iMac or other Apple platform, or (b) if the Chibata software needs a patch or tweak or something in order to read the output from this device correctly?
RootlessAgrarian

Re: SRW-S1 steelseries, OSX, need advice/info

Postby Rodrigo » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:40 pm

RootlessAgrarian wrote:Greetings all. I have been struggling with a Steelseries SRW-S1 which I'd like to use with Euro Truck 2 on my iMac (El Capitan, 10.11).

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/ste ... 83684.aspx

I bought Joystick Mapper and Joystick Show to try to understand better why this game controller doesn't work :-)

I am puzzled by the results of my tests. The SRW-S1 has four levers in back, a steering-wheel or yoke-like form, and is intended (with the right drivers I guess) to be an "air wheel" for driving games. I can hear a tilt switch activating when it's rotated in the air.

However, Joystick Show does not see much coming out of it. The various coloured buttons appear as button click events 0-16; the top 2 levers in back also show up as button clicks; the r-hand bottom lever in back shows as Axis 0, is spring loaded, and seems to output neg values when travelling back past centre point towards the home position, positive values when travelling (being pulled) forward past centre point towards the device. But it has no detente at centre point. The l-hand bottom lever outputs nothing, according to JShow. And rotating or tilting the device outputs nothing.

The device also offers a few rotating multiposition knobs, but they don't show up as output in JShow.

I am wondering whether this device just plain doesn't work -- did I get a dud? -- or whether the designers used the additional buttons and levers to modify the existing set cleverly so as to squeeze more apparent functions out of it. It is said to work OK with selected PC games -- including ETS2! -- but (despite a few isolated claims) no one seems to have got it working with OSX. I'm disappointed (was hoping to use it as a cheap substitute for a real USB driving wheel etc) and am wondering if (a) anyone else has managed to get it working with their iMac or other Apple platform, or (b) if the Chibata software needs a patch or tweak or something in order to read the output from this device correctly?

Tilt input is generally not supported by joystick mapper
And Apparently this device is not mac friendly. Some stuff will simply not work as is, at least without custom a driver.
Rodrigo

Return to Joystick Mapper